Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wednesday afternoon - City of Refgue

 
We spent Wednesday afternoon at Puʻuhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park, also known as The City of Refuge. The Park consists of Palace Grounds and the place of refuge. Only Hawaiian royalty were allowed to access the Palace Grounds, but anyone could escape to the city of refuge. It was a place to find absolution if you were guilty of breaking the law to avoid death. The priest offered many a desperate man, woman and child sanctuary and absolution. Within hours, a person was free to leave with a second chance at life.
 
It was a reminder for me of my own person of refuge - Christ - the man who offered me a second chance at life by forgiving my sin. The difference, I didn't have to swim the great distance between death and life. He came to me and freely offered me salvation. 



Numbers marked places on the tour. Abigail traced every number with her finger.

 
"Papa, I need your glasses again!" My dad has polarized sun glasses, and Abigail soon discovered how much fun it was to wear them.



 
Hannah slept the whole time. She was worn out from playing on the beach!


 

No comments: