Monday, October 8, 2012

Tuesday - Green Sand Beach

On Tuesday, we started the day at South Point, the Southernmost Part of the United States. The cliffs were once used to load ships. The ladders used hundreds of years ago are still used today by cliff jumpers, brave souls who jump into the roaring waters below and climb back up to dry ground. Rodney informed me that if I wasn't a protective wife and mommy he'd be jumping too. I told him, "Maybe next time, but for now my babies need their daddy!" Would you have jumped?
 
 
We then drove to start our hike to the Green Sand Beach, also called Mahana or Papakolea Beach. The only other Green Sand beach in the world is in the Galapagos Islands. The rock olivine makes the distinctive green color, eroding from a nearby cinder cone.
 
 
This was my most difficult day in Hawaii. The hike was brutal - on a coastal desert, hot, and windy. The sand etched blisters into my feet. Let's just say I didn't have the best attitude on the way to the beach. I kept thinking of sipping coffee at a cafe or lying on a white sand beach.
 
 
But it was worth it. The view was breathtaking, the cliffs frightening, the sand "sparkly" (as Abigail said!). Just look at that sky!
 
 
rehydrating with the camelbak
 
 
 
 
overlooking the cliffs leading to the beach below
 
My parents have hiked here before but never down to the beach. Before they were the only tourists and couldn't find the safe path down to the beach. My mom saw my dad peering over the cliffs and had a mini panic attack. I was a little panicky at first too, until I saw several other people make their way over to the trail on the other side, equipped even with a hand rail in sections.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This picture doesn't quite do the "sparkly" sand justice...
 
 We were sweaty and tired at the end of our hike, so we stopped for malasadas and coffee on our way home. I opted for coconut cream pie instead; it was divine. I was thankful for a sweet end to the day and looking forward to a hot shower back at the house.
 

No comments: