Monday, July 20, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

"Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also , and he praises her. Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all. Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." Proverbs 31: 29-30


My mom turns 50 today, and I wish I could be with her in Illinois to celebrate.



I love you mom, and here are just some of the reasons why I love you (in no particular order...):


1. You helped form in me a love for reading. When we were very young, you would read classics to us before bed - The Jungle Book, Little Women, Little House on the Prairie, Rikki Tikki Tavi, The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe...When we were older, you would bring us to the library every week to check out books.


2. You are always available to talk. I'm so glad we're on the same cell phone plan!


3. You never complain! I remember there were days when you would feel sick with the flu, recurring sinus infections or just having a crampy day. You never complained. I remember on a few vacations in Japan and Belgium when you would be throwing up into a soda can and we hardly even knew.


4. And when we were sick, you would sleep with us in the bathroom on the hard floor. During the day, you would bring us movies from the library along with chamomile tea, soup and jello.


5. You're the most down-to-earth person that I know. You can talk to anyone - you don't see language, cultural and socioeconomic barriers.


6. You taught me how to love and care for my family through food! Rodney rolls his eyes sometimes when I serve multiple course meals to him and guests. There can never be enough food (or desserts!) on the table.


7. When we were kids, you always swam with us at the public pool during the summer. You led the way in belly flops and but busters off the diving board!


8. You sat up with Abigail during the night, helping me change and burp her. You literally laid on the floor in the nursery to keep me company while I would nurse her. And then you would wake up bright and early in the morning to bring me tea or decaf coffee, regardless of how tired you felt!


9. You always ran around with us kids in the backyard - playing basketball, throwing a softball, playing hide and go seek. You and dad were the best playmates around.


10. You're a servant. Growing up, I got to see firsthand a woman who loved her husband, her kids and her family. I'm so thankful that you still love dad and you continue to be patient with your kiddos - extending grace and mercy when needed:)


I love you, mom, and am so thankful that the Lord gave me such a great mom.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

We love your mom, too!
Love,
Jamie (Otten) Voss