Saturday, June 13, 2009

We eat all we can and sell the rest!

Rodney and I are self proclaimed ice cream snobs, now that we live in the south. In our "past" life, we were happy to eat any and all brands of ice cream, so I usually bought what was on sale on the grocery store. Oh how things have changed, now that we have tasted the sweet goodness of Blue Bell ice cream. Their Homemade Vanilla tastes as good as the kind you spend hours cranking on the fourth of July. Friends in the north, we must pray that Blue Bell comes to Illinois :)

So we went to the Blue Bell Creamery this weekend up in Brenham, TX. It has been in the upper nineties all week (dropping to a cool, balmy 78 at night)...so it was fitting to go on an ice cream tour down here in the heat of a Texas summer. Brenham is a small town outside of Houston, and we also enjoyed lunch in an old ice cream parlor/cafe, and we walked the streets, meandering in and out of antique stores and boutiques. It was a marvelous day. Abigail did very well. We carted her around in the Baby Bjorn. Now that she's older, she gets to face forward and see the world, but we turned her around for naptime so she could fall asleep.

We are holding fast to the Blue Bell slogan - We eat all we can and sell the rest - in that Rodney and I are literally trying to try as many flavors and make ice cream a daily part of our lives, as our time is short here in the south.

I'm awake, Mom and Dad, so can you please turn me around so I can see the world?


It was a beautiful day in Brenham, TX.


The best part of the tour - a big scoop of ice cream:)

This is where we ate lunch...

Abigail amused herself by playing with a bag of chips.
And I loved the armadillo and blue bells painted on the side of the building:)

As far as the rest of the week goes - VBS starts today. Abigail is happily napping, for which I am very thankful. I'm hoping that a well-rested baby will be a happy baby this afternoon. She had a rough day yesterday. Sundays are usually more challenging. She refused to sleep during church (until the sermon was over of course). She took a good afternoon nap, but when we took her swimming, she decided she wasn't really in the mood. She was pretty crabby the rest of the evening...and refused to take a nap even though she was tired. So we took her for a walk and we'll try swimming again when she's more rested.
But the pool felt marvelous yesterday afternoon. The water was warm and inviting, and Rodney and I enjoyed taking advantage of having the pool only a short walk from our apartment. There are some perks to hot Houston weather...

5 comments:

Danell said...

I discovered Blue Bell ice cream when I lived in Texas as well. I'm actually in Texas now and my friends and I went in search of Birthday Cake ice cream (it was a staple in my life) but I think they might have discontinued it. I was VERY sad!

Teresa said...

That first comment was from me. I didn't realize it was going to post the comment under my friend's name!

Hilltops and a Valley of Vision said...

Teresa, I think they still have birthday cake ice cream. I "think" I saw that flavor just the other day.

Marla said...

Eat some for me!!!

Whitney said...

Your mom told me about your blog awhile ago, but I stopped by today to see how you were doing. Abigail is such a cutie, and yes, Blue Bell is the best!