Tuesday, December 8, 2009

the sunrise from on high

"And you, child, will be called the
prophet of the Most High;
for you will go before the Lord to
prepare his ways,
to give knowledge of salvation to his
people
in the forgiveness of their sins,
because of the tender mercy of our
God,
whereby the sunrise shall visit us
from on high
to give light to those who sit in
darkness and in the shadow of
death,
to guide our feet into the way of
peace."
Luke 1:76-79
I have been living through a period of numbness the last couple of months, opening up my Bible day in and day out for a fresh word from the Lord. I trust that the Word is living and active and will pierce through this numbness, but sometimes the wait is long and my heart feels chilled in this waiting. And yet in this waiting, I am encouraged. At Bible Study this morning I sat and listened to Christ's second "I Am" statement from John 8 -- I am the light of the world, whoever comes to me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life. So I will keep going to the Lord. I love the Luke and Matthew portions that speak of Christ's birth, and with new joy I read of "a sunrise from high." I am thankful for the wonder of this picture of Christ. My prayer for this season is that the sunrise will continue to guide my feet into a way of peace, that I may be a blessing to those around me. I am thankful that I am warmed in this waiting.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I opened your post expecting to see a picture of a sunrise :). Thanks for these words and the transparency of your post. I pray that God would grant you joy and peace in His presence. It's good to hear of your perseverance amidst the numbness...don't give up! You are an encouragement to me!