Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Memories of Christmas times long past


My husband came home from Bible Study Monday night and made me an amaretto latte in my favorite Christmas cup, bought at a china shop in London many years ago. It's quite amazing how the simplest things can bring back floods of memories. I'm looking forward to time spent with family sitting around the fire reminiscing, enjoying new memories unfold of first Christmases and looking forward to many Christmases to come. Here are some of my most favorite Christmas memories off the top of my head:

1. My mom's cinnamon rolls and tea ring, enjoyed before we open gifts on Christmas morning.

2. Singing Christmas carols at a train station in Japan with our church, proclaiming our joy to the world.

3. Snow on Christmas Eve in Belgium. It was truly a gift from heaven, since we were often homesick and were more used to rain in the winter than snow flurries. And of course, the joy of watching our new puppy enjoy his first snowfall.

4. Enjoying the fondue tradition with my new family on Christmas Eve. My first fondue Christmas I ate the most I've ever eaten in my life! I felt terrible and yet so happy to be with my new husband and his family. I resolved to use more moderation for future Christmases, and I'm happy to announce that whilst pregnant last year, I exercised much restraint and was able to actually enjoy the Christmas Eve service:)

5. Driving to see Christmas lights with my Grandma and Grandpa Higgins and listening to the Bing Crosby Christmas classics on the radio. Grandpa always knew where to find the best lights in town.

6. And most of all -- reading the Christmas story with both families on Christmas Eve. What a blessing to hear tidings of great joy!

These are only a few of my favorite memories. I could blog for hours on memories of Christmases past, but my baby is asleep and there are things to do! Nevertheless, I am looking forward to seeing my Iowa grandparents in less than a week and my family shortly after.

No comments: