Saturday, August 22, 2009

Almost Seven Months, Sleepy and Lots of Tears

Our darling daughter has apparently forgotten how to take naps. At around 8 weeks, she started sleeping through the night and happily and peacefully fell asleep at naptime. She still sleeps well at night and fusses minimally at bedtime. This week, however, she has decided she would rather stay up and be fussy all day than take her much needed morning and afternoon naps. We've been putting her down for twenty minutes, going in to comfort her, and then letting her cry. But even so, she hasn't been settling down for naps. She doesn't appear to be sick or teething, nor is she going through a growth spurt, as she is happy and content as long as she's not in her crib. I have read that at this age (six/seven months), they begin to have separation anxiety, which would explain the out of control crying. But I am at a loss and hoping for some advice...

Thanks! (from a very weary mama)...

......and on another note......

Abigail has done really well with peas and carrots, though I think I may cut the green beans, just to make sure they aren't the culprit for her fussy behavior, and I'll reintroduce them a bit later....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I feel your pain and hang in there. Isaiah used to be the WORST napper in the WORLD and would cry for a LOOONG time. Now, he sleeps well and quickly mostly and when he wakes up, he's trained to be quiet (usually).

Advice: Just keep putting her down and only checking on her once in awhile (try to avoid being seen by her). Babywise key words: Train don't retrain. If you want her to nap in the crib and not carseat or floor, or swing, then don't start the habit of those other places of slumber. Some babies just have OFFweeks. Evan hasn't been napping well today and I don't know why..but I bet tomorrow, he will. I remember at around that 6-8 mos period there'd be off weeks where they don't nap well, then he'd pull several weeks in a row of 2 hrs in the a.m. and 3 hrs. in the p.m. plus 12 hours of sleep. Now Chaius stopped his morning nap ALLTOGETHER at 9 months of age and just did 12 hrs at night and 3 hr p.m. nap. Some babies might need less and less sleep. If she starts taking a long morning nap and not napping at all in the p.m. (or 20 minutes or something) then that is a strong indication she is ready to or possibly ready to drop the a.m. nap (fyi). If you check on her, she is fine, but cries as soon as you leave, she's probably either a. lonely/wants held/etc... or b. pulling smething funky on you. :) Helpful I know. Just keep doing what you know to be right for your baby. :) You're doing great and are such a good momma!

Unknown said...

Hang in there. I know I'm not a mom, and have zero experience to speak of, but I've been talking to moms and reading mom blogs... and I know you guys have liked Babywise thus far... but I've heard it doesn't always work for every baby. I know there are other methods out there that work well and also produce happy, healthy babies. Again, take what I say with a grain of salt! Trust your mommy instincts -- I know you will do what is best for Abigail, and you and Rodney are the ones that know her best and love her most. You're doing a great job with her!

Really, she's probably just reacting to the green beans! ;)

I am praying for you, friend, and for Miss Abigail and Rodney, too.