Friday, February 6, 2009

First Week Home

Sunday - We were zombies on Sunday, after a long first night home. Abigail fussed most of the night, probably because of new surroundings. Mommy and Daddy learned several quick lessons on soothing, quick diaper changes and patience!

Monday - Rodney spent his last day home before going back to work. She slept MUCH better on Sunday night, for which we were very thankful. Abigail enjoys her swing and is everyday spends more time awake (which is still only for moments at a time). Megan arrived very late on Monday night from Dallas!

Tuesday - It was a HUGE blessing to have Megan here on Tuesday. It was good to have such a dear friend here to keep me company and help with little things around the house. She drove me to Abigail's first doctor's appointment (since I'm not allowed to drive for three weeks), which also happened to be her first outing. It was a beautiful day, and good for me to get out of the house too. The best news of all -- Abigail got a great report from the doctor. She lost 10 oz. after birth, and because I'm breastfeeding, the neonatologist wanted to make sure she is thriving. She is! She regained 6 oz in only 3 days and was back up to 7 pounds. Grandma Hekel will be here for her 2 week well baby visit, and she's on track to be back up to her birth weight.

Wednesday - Baby Blues are real -- but God is good (and my husband is wonderful). We'll leave it at that. It was my first day alone, and all of Abigail's noises, gurgles and grunts keep my worrying mind active. Having a baby is yet another opportunity for me to learn to trust the Lord in all things. Praise God for his faithfulness, and praise God that his mercies are new every morning.

Thursday - A lady from my church spent most of the day with me. Again, it was great to have company, especially an experienced mom. Our church here in Houston has been a huge source of encouragement. They have brought us meals every day this week and have poured on us blessing upon blessing.

Friday - Today, Rodney is off from work, and Abigail helped him do his Bible study this morning! Every day I have more energy, and I can tell that my body is healing. My pain is decreasing, and I'm able to take better care of Abigail and myself (though it is still hard to roll out of bed without using my abdominal muscles!).






1 comment:

Beth and Eric said...

Abigail is beautiful!!! And I just have to say that you will have many more opportunities to take pictures of sleeping baby and sleeping Daddy. :) I have many of Eric and Gracie and they are my favorites. So thankful to hear you have church family who are helping out. I wish we were near so we could make some meals and do some baby holding while Mommy naps! We're praying for you all. May Jesus be your strength and comfort.
Love, The Bonks