Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Hawaii Day One (afternoon)

 
After the rest of the family returned from a grueling walk down to see the black pebble beach, we decided to head to the farthest point on the island that we could go to by car. You literally drive to the end of the road, park your car, and climb out at the Pulolu Valley Lookout. The Pulolu Valley is just past the small town of Kapa'au, where we first stopped for a quick lunch of barbecue! In Hawaii, they slow roast their meat over kiawe wood, which is very similar to mesquite. I had perhaps the best pulled pork I have EVER eaten, and that's saying a lot coming from a recent connoisseur of Texas barbecue!
 
The Pulolu Valley Lookout

The view was absolutely breathtaking. We loaded Hannah in the backpack carrier, grabbed our water and sunglasses and headed down to the beach.  Looking down at the beach (from all the way up here!!!), I was a little uncertain that we would ALL be able to make it with two little ones. Abigail suprised me time and time again:)

Below you can see why the road ends at the lookout; the valley is deep and wide. It is a several day hike to the next road (if my memory serves me right). Ranching is actually a large part of the local economy. We could see cows grazing in the distance.


Mom is sporting dad's sunglasses (I have a wonderful dad!). She also is sporting a thick layer of sunscreen. I'm happy to announce that no one went back home severely burned! And that's saying a lot for all of us fair skinned beauties :)


Hannah enjoyed hiking too!
 
As you can see, the hike wasn't super "easy", but Abigail was a trooper! As much as we have trouble with her whining about normal everyday activities, she kept her whining to a minimum while we were in Hawaii. She did GREAT!
 
"Papa" was a big help. I think everyone held her hand at some point on the hike.
 
 
 
We made it!

 
Taking a breather...

 
Mimi and Abigail watching Hannah's first reaction to the ocean. I will post a separate post on this later.


 
When we finally made it to the top, we were hot and sweaty and needed cool rest. So we stopped and got homemade ice cream before heading back to our Hawaii rental home. I thoroughly enjoyed Strawberry Coconut. Yum!

 
Laying in bed that night, I remember telling Rodney that we could leave the next day and I would be perfectly happy. I felt so privileged and blessed to experience such a perfect day.  

No comments: