Saturday, May 14, 2011

potty training update!

Weeks before Abigail turned 2, I spent two horrific days trying to potty train. Several people told me that potty training was simple, and I was left wondering why I hadn't packed away her cloth diapers at 18 months. Even random strangers at Target assured me that if Abigail was left without a diaper, within a day (maybe two at the most) she would easily transition to the big girl potty. I read very little on the matter and was convinced it would be an easy transition. I was so very wrong! I crashed and burned and quit on day two, in tears.

But I wanted to give it another go, in hopes that we would only have one in diapers this summer. This time, I picked up two books and read through a PDF book sent by a friend. I developed a strategy and planned to be home without any distractions for 3-4 days. I also planned to have Rodney home in the evenings, for at least the first two days. On my previous attempt, I was home by myself while my hubby was in China. That didn't work out so well. I needed the hugs and encouragement.

On the morning of our first potty training day, I let Abigail open a wrapped present - a potty training doll (which she loved). We taught Baby Annie to use the potty and rewarded Baby Annie for staying dry and using the potty. Abigail enjoyed eating Baby Annie's M&Ms:) We then put Abigail's cloth diapers into a storage bin and we put on her new underwear (that we picked out together earlier in the week).

I periodically asked Abigail is she was dry. When we checked (and I often knew she was dry), I would let her pick out a sticker. In all honesty, Abigail's only successes on the potty on day one were when I sat and read to her. They were accidental successes that were heavily rewarded with M&Ms. For the most part, she had accidents and I would rush her to potty, have her pull down her wet underwear and go through the potty process. I cleaned up LOTS of accidents on day one and two.

On day two we had one huge success in the morning. Abigail ran to the potty by herself and went potty. But the rest of the day was miserable. Lots of accidents, and I was in tears by the end of the day. It didn't help that my hubby had a huge trip the next day. I wanted to quit but was reminded of a friend's advice. She said it took her daughter 4 days to really "get it". So I persevered.

And the perseverance paid off! Day three, we only had three accidents and day 4 we only had one accident! I still put her in cloth diapers at night and waterproof training pants at naptime, mainly because I'm a tired pregnant mommy who doesn't want to have to change wet sheets in the middle of the night and have a hard time rolling out of bed before Abigail wakes in the morning. One step at a time.

So if you are potty training or planning to soon, be encouraged! It is NOT EASY. Tears are normal (for mommy and little one), and don't feel like there's something wrong if you have to stop and wait a couple months before you try again. Every kiddo is different, and I can only imagine the challenge of having two kiddos under wing:)

Happy potty training!

1 comment:

M & M said...

good to hear. we need to try again sometime this summer too. I may end up calling for advice.