Monday, September 12, 2016

Journal - August 26, 2016



Every year I set my heart to read straight through the Bible. In January, I make my way through the Genesis narrative and God’s love and pursuit of a sinful people and late in December I rejoice that our tears have been wiped away. Hope is realized. We see Christ face to face in the new heavens and the new earth. 

But in August and September, I languish. My soul languishes in Lamentations with Jeremiah. I am weeping with the prophet as the people throw themselves on the mercies of idols that cannot and will not save them. And I dread the book of Ezekiel. It is always the hardest book of the Bible for me to read through. It’s dense and full of woe. The dry bones that are made alive are but a short drink in a book that almost always leaves my soul parched.

And this is why I relish reading through the Bible cover to cover because I know that the exiles will soon be returning to Jerusulem.

“The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.” Lamentations 3:22-23

“The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him.” Lamentations 3:25

“It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.” Lamentations 3:26

I think maybe the character of the Lord is more surely seen when I have seen his patience and his love for his rebellious people.  I am more resolute in my waiting and my seeking because I can see the miracle of the Lord’s hand in all of history. 

 I know that even though the Lord’s hand of judgment is fierce and severe, the incarnation is on the horizon. The sunrise on high is beckoning to my soul and I cannot wait to relish the Good News that God saw that there was no one to save and so He stepped in to provide His Son, the Savior of the World. 

Reading and relishing the Word is bringing life to these bones, as I long for the day when I will truly see my Savior.

1 comment:

M & M said...

your own Bible reading plan? Is it straight from Genesis to Revelation? I have tried 3 different ones over the years and keep coming back to my favorite but never read straight through from Genesis to revelation in the order as listed in the table of contents. Always seems to be simultaneous.